Monday, January 28, 2008

Bonding with my baby boy

This past weekend was heart wrenching as I took care of my sick baby solo all weekend. Between his first vaccination and intense teething, he was all out of sorts and not his usual perky, curious self but just wanted to be held and consoled... His head was permanently on my shoulder and regularly he would mutter "mem, mem" in a drawn voice. He ran a high fever and it was just the saddest thing I've ever seen. He was up all night and only calmed when he was sleeping on me. We slept this way both Friday and Saturday night. The upshot of all of this is that we quite possibly had the most bonding weekend we've had yet. We were together all weekend, just the two of us, and to have him need me so much was beyond sweet. I felt like we moved to another level with our love and although I hated seeing him so limp, I held him the entire weekend and we just connected. As of last evening, he began to resemble the curious and joyful Colin we love as the light behind his eyes returned and I even saw a few smiles! Having him to love and care for is the most amazing experience of my life.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

So sad, but so sweet at the same time. ;-)